Applications for 2013 are now closed for the DPA and MPA Programs. Thanks to all that applied!
The Local Government Program offers two unique opportunities for studying the rapidly changing fields of local government and local government administration.
Western’s MPA: Canada’s only MPA program exclusively focused on local government public administration.
- Western's Masters of Public Administration (MPA) is designed for mid-career local government administrators who wish to further their public management skills, as well as for future professionals looking to enter the field. Our Part-Time students are usually administrators in municipal government, but some are employed by separate boards, provincial ministries, not-for-profit organizations or in the private sector. Our Full-Time students usually come directly from undergraduate degrees in the social sciences. The resulting student mix creates a unique classroom environment that combines the energy of fresh academic minds with the experience of working professionals. The MPA is Canada’s only public administration program with a local focus. MPA courses offer specialized education in local administration and policy analysis, thoroughly preparing our students for the challenges of modern community, urban and regional governance and administration.
- Apply Today!
Western’s DPA: Canada’s premier professional development program for local government administrators.
- Western's Diploma in Public Administration (DPA) is designed especially for mid-career local government administrators who wish to further develop their public management perspectives and skills. Most such administrators are in municipal government, but some are employed by separate boards, provincial ministries, not-for-profit organizations or in the private sector. DPA Courses offer specialized education in local administration and policy analysis, giving the experienced student the prospect of being better prepared for the challenges of modern community, urban and regional governance and administration.
- The Diploma has been offered annually since 1974. Hundreds of men and women from across Canada, with widely varying backgrounds, have attended. Many medium-to-large Canadian municipalities consistently use Western's Diploma in Public Administration as part of their professional development program for senior managers.
- The cross-disciplinary faculty and guest experts who teach in the DPA program include academic researchers specializing in local government, as well as practitioners with extensive local government experience. Students receive Western undergraduate credits for the DPA courses.
- Apply Today!
Comments from our graduates:
- "I have just completed my first week here in my new management position... I am pleased to report that I have been able to use my MPA knowledge on many occasions so far. The subject matter covered in the program and our open discussions have provided a good foundation for my new role here. I feel I am able to add constructive input to many issues confronting the municipality."
- "I always looked forward to coming to school, I loved the experience and will definitely miss it."
- "Thank you for a thought-provoking and engaging class. I have no doubt that we all learned some new concepts that we'll be able to use in our professional lives, I also have no doubt we all learned a little something about ourselves as well."
- "I am enjoying my new role at the Province. I find myself applying, almost on a daily basis, the new tools I acquired through the DPA Program."
- "The benefits of being a student are so significant that I think I will have to do this for a lifetime. My writing skills have improved and so has my knowledge about public service. I have forged great relationships in the city and I think my Director's opinion of my capabilities has also become more positive."
- "I would not have missed the DPA Program for all the world. It has made such a tremendous, positive difference in my life. I will always be grateful for the opportunity to be part of it."
- "The whole MPA experience at Western was a very enjoyable and rewarding experience, and the information, tools and processes I took away I'm able to apply consistently on a regular basis on the job. I still talk (electronically) to a couple of my classmates and I'd recommend the program to anybody."