Local Government Program - China Activities
- October 1, 2011
- Applications are now being taken for the Ken Chu Faculty Fellowship in Public Administration.
- Apply Now - Start Date is September 2012
- October 1, 2011
- Ken Chu MPA International Scholarship - 2012 Scholarships Announced
- Apply Now - Applications Due January 20, 2012
- October 16, 2009
Chu Family Donation
In 2007, the Chu Family donated two million to Western through Mission Hills (China) Ltd. The gift has been allocated as follows:
- International Student Centre – $1,000,000 expendable to support the construction of an International Student Centre housed in the new Student Support Services Building at Western.
- Public Administration program in China – $300,000 expendable to support the costs associated with a non-credit enrichment experience for Public Administration students at selected Chinese universities and local-government officials.
- Master’s of Public Administration (MPA) Scholarships – $200,000 expendable in support of international scholarships for Chinese students to attend the MPA Program at Western.
- Faculty Fellowships in Public Administration – $200,000 expendable to support a fellowship for a member of a Chinese School of Public Administration. Each fellowship is valued at $50,000.
- Collaborative Chinese and Canadian Local Public Administration Research – $100,000 expendable to support research projects between Western’s Local Government Program and academics at Chinese Universities on the subject of local political participation in China and Canada.
- Administrative Support - $200,000 expendable to assist with the MPA
scholarships; arrangements for visiting academics; and coordination of
travel and meetings for collaborative research.
In June 2009, the UWO Senate and Board of Governors approved the following activities / programs.
A New Program in China
The UWO Senate has approved the naming of the Dr. David S. H. Chu Public Administration Program in China, in the Local Government Program of the Department of Political Science, effective following Board of Governors approval June 23.
A New Fellowship Program
Senate has approved that the Ken Chu Faculty Fellowship in Public
Administration be created in the Local Government Program of the Department
of Political Science, effective July 1.
The Ken Chu Faculty Fellowship in Public Administration will be made available to a member of the Chinese School of Public Administration for each of four years beginning in 2009. Each fellowship, valued at $50,000, will assist with the costs of salary support, research, travel and accommodation and living expenses.
Ken Chu is the Vice-Chairman of Mission Hills Group. He holds a BA ’96, ACS from Western. In October 2007, he received an honorary LLD from Western.
A New Scholarship Program
Ken Chu Master of Public Administration International Scholarships
(School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, Public Administration)
To be awarded annually to full-time international students from China who are enrolled in the Master of Public Administration program (School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies), based on academic achievement. These six scholarships, valued at $33,333 each (max. two per year) were established through the generosity of the Chu Family.